Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All In A Day of Life With A Rabid Treasure Hunter: An Amazing Dollar Sale




My beloved, Mr. Many Shades of Shabby, is rabid about finding good stuff at good buys. He hunts out the best estate, garage, church and yard sales and eats, drinks, and sleeps - treasure hunting. He starts early and stays late; he believes fervently in all of those old adages about the early bird and snoozing and losing. Today, he was sound asleep on the sofa in front of the television, when like a man out of a bad dream, he raised up rim rod straight, rubbed his eyes with both fists, then riveted his gaze on the tv, exclaiming "WHAT?!?!"

He: Devonia! Did you hear that? Everything at the Dallas Zoo was on sale today for a dollar! I guess the zoo is closing...

Me: Closing the zoo? I didn't know that. What a shame - I can't imagine Dallas without a zoo. Are you sure? Whatever would we buy at the zoo?

He: I just heard it on the news. Maybe they aren't closing it permanently, just for renovation or something. We'll see. The feature is up next. What would we buy? Woman!!! Use your head - All kinds of things! Just think, the statues, the lighting, the name plaques, signs, beautiful chairs, outdoor furniture, patio tables with umbrellas, benches, aquariums, gorgeous potted and hanging plants, all those wonderful old architectural trims, all kinds of stuff to decorate indoors and outdoors with - ONE DOLLAR! ( now holding both hands, palms up, shaking his head in pure despair) I can't believe we missed this.

Me: (brows knitted together) Are you certain?

He: Here it's coming on now - Come listen if you don't believe me. (now turning very disappointed eyes my way) What I want know is - why didn't you know about this? We should have been there. Man, just think... anything there - One dollar!!

Me: (fingers to my lips) Shhhhh, let's listen.

The local news reporter : Today, record breaking crowds lined up at the Dallas Zoo to take advantage of Dollar Day. Today only, all tickets were only one dollar...





Subscribe in a reader


4 comments:

Nancy said...

LOL! Unfortunately, I can empathesize with Mr. Many...Why aren't estate and garage sales held everyday of the week? Why make me wait for the weekend? And, I have mistaken such advertisements myself. There are no words to describe the disappointment of the reality.

Devonia said...

linens and laurel: My poor baby, I felt so sorry for him. His shoulders drooped and he muttered, "Well, there goes the two giraffes I could have got to play in the backyard..."

Kim's Treasures said...

That is so funny!
Have a great day!
Kim

FrenchGardenHouse said...

I absolutely LOVE this post! Thanks for starting my day off with laughter. (tell Mr. Many Shades of Shabby I'm laughing with him, not AT him!) xo Lidy