Friday, April 18, 2008

D.I.Y. : ADD-A-CORK To Create Wine or Bottle Stoppers From Old Crystal Knobs, Billiard Balls, Finials



Recently, I used an old crystal doorknob for a stopper for a bottle filled with pink colored water. It worked perfectly and I liked it so much that I started thinking of ways to really use them... and other items as stoppers. I was thinking particularly about the fragrance bottles I have that are missing stoppers; but, a little research and I realized that somebody (and maybe lots of somebodies) had already beat me to developing this "stopper" idea.

I think you'll agree these are waaay creative uses - I was especially taken with the billiard ball stoppers - clever gift idea! Father's Day is coming up soon and there might be other hobby-related things that might work perfectly for the men in our lives. Fishing lures? Golf balls? Still thinking here... An ornate metal doorknob stopper could be monogrammed for a personalized and soooo elegant wedding or commemorative anniversary gift.

And the bottles don't have to be wine bottles? Maybe salad dressing bottles? Fragrance bottles?
Bubble Bath? Linen Waters? A neat bottle of something with a special stopper would be a great gift basket starter...

Here's a link for buying already made with great variety and good prices! Knob Stoppers

And here's a link for D.I.Y. stopper-makers. (like me) :) This shows a step-by-step tutorial with photos for adding corks to your toppers. Click here

10 comments:

Joy Jones said...

What a great idea!! I have a box of these old door knobs and never thought of using them this way. I've been using them as paper weights but I like this idea much better! Thanks for sharing! xo ~ Joy J.

Siobhan said...

hi Devonia , What an amazing idea!!! I never ever thought o doing that before...I will have to give it a go. Thanks for sharing your wonderful ideas with us :)
Siobhan

Donna Lynn said...

Beautiful posts, love your blog, LOVE YOUR PAINTINGS!!!! As you can see I love roses, hence the name...please come visit me sometime. I have been using these antique crystal doorknobs on my coat racks for years, I've sold all I've ever made!! They are really beautiful and functional, all at the same time...
Bless you, Donna Lynn

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful idea~ the kind that make me slap my forehead and say "why didn't I think of that"~ but I didn't think of it and I probably would never get it done anyway.~S

{oc cottage} said...

That is such a great idea! I love it!
I also love the name of your blog ...it's so true! I have 2 sisters, and we all have a different "shade" of shabby!

M

Diana Lyn said...

Good Mornig Devonia,
I have so enjoyed your blog site, I am new to the blogging world, I am Donna Lynns friend from Blushing Rose antiques, She has been so kind as to show me this wonderful Network of Women,I have been off the creating path for too long and so been inspired to get back, it is where i truly feel best, and I know with the uplifting women artists in this wonderful world of blogging I will return to my creative side, I am a 7 year breast cancer survivor and have been blessed to create my own 100% eco friendly soy candle business all hand poured~Check out my site this week I will be doing a giveaway! Have a wonderful day ~ Diana Lyn

Diana Lyn said...

Devonia , you are so sweet, thank you for the comments,! I am so in LOVE with you rcreations! Thanks so much for sharing, P.S. You can can on a trip anytime with us!!!!!!!!! Diana Lyn

Anonymous said...

Hey Devonia. I just love old crystal doorknobs. When I saw your pictures it brought back memories of the house my Grandparents lived in when I was a child(a long time ago) that had doorknobs like those.
I enjoyed my visit so much. You always have some great ideas. Thanks.

Nancy said...

Ms. Devonia: You saved a perfume bottle my mother gave me from THE FINAL decision. Drawers were cleaned out this weekend, and I kept it one more time while knowing the next time I would have to let it go. Now I can keep it with good conscience! Off to craft my stopper. Thanks!

Celestina Marie said...

Hi Devonia, great idea and beautiful too. Thank you for sharing. I have given you an award. Stop by to pick it up anytime.
Celestina,
La Rea Rose